Been a bit tired lately to update, but I'm afraid I'll forget a few details later.
Ethan turned 21 months, and here's what he has to show for it: more words, more involvement at school, more tantrums, same sleeping issues (if not worse), more teeth (molars), and XL diapers. Finally taken out the potty so that we can at least get him to start pooping in there again.
Sophie's a month old and is doing really well given her shaky start. Went to the health center for her first month's shots and check-up, and she weighed in at 10.22 lbs (4.64 kg). Not bad for a breastfed baby =) The breastfeeding is going well for the most part. She still has trouble latching on sometimes, and I'm not comfortable feeding in public yet, but we hope to get there within this coming month. She wakes up about twice during the night, and feeds can go from 30 minutes to two hours. At least I can still get a nap in the afternoon with Ethan. And then there's the blow-out diapers. Geez...when she goes, she goes all over the place. Still trying to figure out her different cries and signals, but I hope to master the "poop" signal soon so that I can just have her poop over a tub of water like I did with Ethan.
For the most part, Ethan's been really good with Sophie, and we haven't encountered too many jealousy issues. To give him some 'us' time, I've been taking Ethan to school lately. We were sad to hear that his English teacher was leaving. Ethan really looks up to this teacher, and we're not particularly fond of his Mandarin teacher. Let's hope that Ethan likes the new English teacher - we'll find out tomorrow.
My first month of confinement is over, and it hasn't been as intense as my confinement with Ethan. Because Sophie's breastfed, the confinement nanny is hesitant to give me the typical stews and soups heavily laden with Chinese medicinal herbs. I only eat the minimal ginger/vinegar stew, some chicken soup with ginseng, and lots of ginger. When I wash my hair, I have to use ginger infused water to keep from having any 'wind' enter my head (causing headaches). Unfortunately, the ginger has caused Sophie's skin to break out a bit, but during confinement, I have to have ginger. It'll be nice to get back to my regular diet once confinement is done (one more month to go).
That's all for now. Still need to post about my hospital stay (if I can even remember the details anymore) and pictures will come soon!
2 comments:
Hey Tracy - glad to hear everythign is going well in general. You mentioned you weren't comfortable nursing in public.. questions - do you have a privacy nursing cover? They sell those here in the states. Basically, it is an 'apron-like' type of thing - you can nurse your baby and people don't get to look since everything is under the cover.
- Cathy
it sounds like you are doing great tracy. tiredness is just part and parcel of being a momma i believe! it took me a great while to feed micah in public. i use to retreat to another room to do it, but once we had it under control, we just did it almost everywhere...except on buses or trains =)
i found specific feeding tops that didn't show any of my skin very helpful and just a muslin of blanket over baby! www.mamaway.co.uk is great for tops!
Post a Comment