Monday, April 12, 2010

Temper, temper, temper

Ugh, my temper is not my best trait, and the terrible twos are full on with Ethan. I feel like I'm constantly yelling at him and putting him in time-outs. I should know better than to try to reason with a 2 1/2 year old, but I just have no patience left and have even resorted to spanking. I've considered having my MIL take him for a day just so that we can have a break from each other, which is saying a lot about how desperate I am.

My guess is that he's really jealous of Sophie - he's constantly pushing her down, taking toys away from her and knocking her head with his fist. What bothers me the most is that I already spent about 80 percent of my time with Ethan. The most I do with Sophie is breastfeed her - Nora does the rest, mostly because Ethan won't let me. I know the second child usually gets the shorter end of the stick, but this is getting ridiculous.

And then there are other times when he gets along fine with her and helps her out in her play. She adores him and is always following him around, but as soon as she gets near his toys or even his sticker wall, he gets really aggressive and possessive.

As much as I'm looking forward to going home, it's going to be quite a challenge to be alone with the kids during the day.

3 comments:

Erin said...

When are you home, exactly? :) I'm sure we can fill a little of your time! :)

Tracy said...

Erin, I'll send you an email...

Meghan said...

I hate to say it, but this sounds familiar (without the sibling). 2 1/2-3 1/2 sucked! I'm not looking forward to round 2 with Paige. However, I promise, it does get better. Just not soon enough! (wish my news could be better, but honesty is better). I hope we run into you when you're home!