Friday, November 30, 2007

It's like a new year's resolution


I'm really taking this blogging stuff more seriously. Actually, the weather's turned cold here, which means Ethan just sleeps more, which in turn means I've got a little more time in front of the computer.

My theory about the spicy breast milk seemed to be correct - he was much better these past few days, although he's still eating less than he usually does. I've been able to BF for about three of his feedings, and I supplement the rest with formula. It's becoming harder and harder to figure out if he needs to supplement right after getting BM. He's also gotten really fussy during formula feedings. He'll have a little bit, then cry and reject the bottle. I take the bottle away, and he screams even louder. Then he chokes on some milk. After settling down, he finally is at peace and drinks, although he'll leave up to an ounce and reject the rest. Sigh.

Part of me just wants to give up BF even though it's supposed to be what's best for him. Now that I'm watching him solo, it's much easier with formula because he feeds like clockwork. I also don't have to watch my diet so much and be subjected to all these weird soup concoctions that my MIL makes (Google search caterpillar fungus...cordyceps sinensis). Another part of me wants to BF exclusively because it seems as if he might rejecting formula, especially when I supplement immediately after BFing. We have an appointment with the new pediatrician on Saturday, and I'll definitely bring up this topic with him. I'm crossing my fingers that he's a good one.

We finally put up his cot mobile with the anticipation that he'll soon be sleeping on his own. It's amazing how fast he's grown out of his Moses basket. We also bought him an activity gym, but since he's not fond of being on his tummy, he just happily gazes up towards the dangling jungle animals and sometimes to the side to look at the mirror.

For some reason, whenever he's about to wake up, he goes for his face, which is now adorned with battle scars. When I took him to the health center to get his shots, the nurse scolded me for keeping his hands in mittens. I only did it recently because he was always scratching his face. Those nurses at the health center really have a way of making me feel like an inept parent...

I leave you with a shot taken this morning - it's only 55 degrees here in HK, and my apartment is a concrete block, which makes it really cold. He's sporting the refugee baby look.

1 comment:

nelly said...

wow! a photo! and what 3 posts in a week? thats better than i am doing at the moment!! try keeping with the BF if you can but if its not working, its not working. have you tried pumping? i was never successfull with it but that might help ethan with going from breastmilk to formula....