I need to preface this by saying that I love my husband dearly, but there are times when I just hope that Ethan will get his smarts from me. Then again, it makes me wonder whether all guys are wired this way.
Val's latest entry cites an article from Yahoo news about how men who do more housework tend to get laid more often...hubby does do the housework when poked and prodded thousands of times. He's more proactive with Ethan, but again, he still has his duh moments. I know housework is the last thing on his mind when he gets home, and he blames his so-called stupidity on the fact that he's beat when he's home. Still, his job is the dishes after dinner and possibly a bottle feeding for Ethan while I tend to the rest of the housework. How hard is that? Sure, he gets housework done after I have to remind him of all the other stuff he still needs to do...and, perchance, would there be a rendezvous beneath the sheets? I. don't. think. so.
I've even tried the method explained in a great NY Times article called "What Shamu taught me about marriage". Basically, you treat him like an animal. Reward him for his good behavior and don't dwell too much on the bad behavior. He'll recognize that good behavior yields a good response from you and will try to do that more often than the bad behavior. However, I think the author failed to realize that men are not really responsive to subtlety.
I think hubby's redemption moment happened when we were at his cousin's house for dinner. His baby girl was getting cranky and wanted her bottle. While her mother was calming her on the couch, the father went to prepare her bottle. He brought the bottle out, baby saw it, and then he said, "oh, it's not ready yet - it's too hot." Of course, mother responded, "why would you let her see it when it's not ready yet?" Needless to say, baby's crankiness exponentially increased. Why is this my hubby's redeeming moment? It's because this guy is a doctor...I thought, wow, if even doctors do this type of thing, then let's just chalk it up to them being male.
Do your hubbies have these blank moments? If you are a father, do you suffer from bouts of random stupidity? Please share...
2 comments:
My hubby and I argue about the stupidity that he is capable of...
(Standing in front of x) "Where is x?"
(Me holding baby, diaper bag, my purse, other things to take out with us...hubby holding keys) "Got everything?" (Seeing me struggle as I'm trying to hold bags in my teeth, balancing things, etc. and trying to lock the door, while he's already down our steps next to the car) "Need any help?"
He consistently leaves recycling on the counter next to the sink, while the recycling bin is two steps away, just outside our back door. He leaves trash and spills on the countertop, but takes the trash out twice a week and claims to "do A LOT around this house!"
I think it's just "being male".
*Sigh*
Geez, no one else's husband has "duh" moments? You can even post anonymously...just let me know that Val and I are not alone!!
Post a Comment