Monday's health center check up had Sophie at 3.41kg, which is her birth weight, from 3.26kg. She fed really well over the weekend before the Monday check up, and I was relieved to hear the good news. Leading up to today's check up, she hardly fed, but slept a lot. I had to keep waking her to feed every 1.5 to two hours during the day and was so worried that she wouldn't gain weight. To my delight, she's at 3.72kg! I guess the sleeping really helped her to 'plump' up a bit, even though she'd only feed at five to 10 minutes at a time. Her jaundice has also subsided to the point where it's not even an issue anymore.
The nurses and the doctor at the health center were impressed by Sophie's weight gain given that she's exclusively breastfed (which apparently is very rare in HK). Even the nanny said that I was her first BF only client. Usually, HK mothers can't bear to see their babies lose weight in the first few days after birth and supplement with formula, ultimately feeding all formula. The nanny said that I should try to stick with it for a whole year, but seeing as HK isn't very BF friendly, I'd be cooped up at home for a year! We'll just see how it goes.
On another note, it's most likely that we won't be holding a full moon celebration for Sophie since HK has its first local cases of H1N1. I think it's pretty counterintuitive to have a celebration but not let people go near the baby or Ethan. Maybe we'll just postpone until flu season passes. By then, my parents should be in town, and we can celebrate with them.
Because of the local outbreak, schools are closed for two weeks, which means Ethan's got a lot of energy and nowhere to expend it. He does have homework activities that we can do at home, but it's not the same.
Anyways, must head to bed now before Sophie or Ethan wakes up to play...
No comments:
Post a Comment