Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Updates and tidbits

So many random things to blog about...here goes!

Ethan can jump! He's been trying for the last few weeks, and he finally got clearance today. Here's hoping he doesn't break his toddler bed.

Sophie weighed in at 12.3 lbs/5.59 kg during her check-up last week. We're still going strong with the feeding and pumping, although I'm not getting any thinner...

Been meaning to document this for a while now: Ethan has a weird blanket obsession. He used to hate using a blanket when he sleeps, but now, he has to have one and it has to be laid out immaculately or he'll throw a tantrum. He could play with his blankets for hours on end.

One morning, I asked hubby if he had changed Ethan's diaper. He replied, "I think so." "Well, did you change his diaper or not???" "No."

Sophie's smiling away now. There have been a few times where I've bathed her, and she'll coo and smile the whole way through. She was a little later in smiling than Ethan, and she still does it more when she's half-sleeping, but it's still the cutest.

Advantages of pregnancy - no hair loss, clear skin, guaranteed a seat on the subway, a beautiful baby =)

Breastfeeding disadvantages - reek of spoiled milk, lopsidedness, engorgement in the middle of the night, can't really do it in public (although thanks to Janelle for recommending the hooter hider - am looking to make one), but I'll take all of this as opposed to fumbling with formula in the middle of the night

Saturday night was a nightmare with Sophie. She was really agitated and wouldn't sleep, although we couldn't pinpoint why. We weren't sure if it was the after effects of her shot on Wednesday, but thank goodness it was only that night. For the most part, she's a great night sleeper, waking up to about two feeds a night. One feed is usually sitting up on the sofa, and the subsequent ones are in bed lying down.

The confinement nanny's last day was Saturday. All of the sudden, it's really quiet around the apartment again. She's very chatty and usually has talk radio on in the kitchen. Coupled with the kitchen fan and the cooking noises, it was surprising that Sophie could sleep through that racket. We're probably going to hire her back in September when my parents are visiting because it'll be a really busy time for us.

It's very likely that we'll be moving to a bigger place, but the biggest issue is whether we'll outright buy a place, rent, or move into another one of my in-laws' properties. I just hope that we do it soon before Sophie gets attached to our apartment. Not looking forward to another round of sleep issues with Ethan either.

Finally got Sophie to poop in a potty, although it was more of a fluke. Just as I blogged about how she has crazy blow-out diapers, she'll go three days without pooping. Got us a little worried, but the health center nurse said that because there aren't as many by products in breast milk, Sophie won't poop as often as a formula fed baby. But still, three days?? Even the nanny said she has never worked with a baby that pooped so much in one go. Nice tidbit to remember my baby by.

Ethan seems to be warming up to his new English teacher at school (an American woman from San Diego). She approached me to ask me where I was from after she overheard me call Ethan 'dude', and since then, Ethan's been one of her favorite students.

On a nightly basis, I always struggle to figure out when Sophie's going to wake up and whether I should go to bed or stay up. Waking her up for a feed is useless because she'll just keep sleeping. I'm playing this game as I'm blogging even though I'm so tired right now.

We've confirmed Sophie's birth celebration for September 12th, and we'll also have an impromptu birthday cake cutting for Ethan during the celebration. His actual birthday will be spent at Disneyland (weather permitting) along with my parents. Just over a month before they arrive. So excited =)

Still so tired...must sleep now.

No comments: