Today marks the end of Ethan's first week in nursery. He's still at the same school as the playgroup, but different teachers and a different classroom. More importantly, I don't get to accompany him. It's been very difficult leaving him there and hearing him cry uncontrollably through the closed door. He even teared up a bit when I went to pick him up on the first two days. But my little trooper is adjusting, although I still have reservations of his going to school five days a week for three hours a day. He should be out playing with friends - oh wait, that doesn't happen here...
I was also pretty emotional during his last playgroup session and the first day I dropped him off at nursery. I enjoy chatting with the mothers and the teachers at playgroup - at least I still get to see them when I pick him up from school. Now, I maybe exchange a few greetings with the parents, and then head home. The plus side is that I walk home (working up to running home to train for the half marathon in February) and get to spend quality time with Sophie. I'm also able to monitor Ethan through a web cam connected to their CCTV, although the best I can do is make out which child is mine. Forget figuring out what activity he's doing so that I can discuss with him when he's home.
On a side note, the playgroup dynamic in terms of the people accompanying the kids is so interesting. Ethan attended playgroup on Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Typically, kids will either attend Monday, Wednesday and Friday, or Tuesday and Thursday. I noticed that on Monday, most of the kids were accompanied by their helpers, while on Tuesday, most kids were accompanied by their mom. One mother who never accompanies her son, picks him and the helper up from school dressed in Chanel. Then there is another mother who has her helper with her. Every time I saw her, she had a different designer handbag (the most expensive I saw was an Hermes ostrich leather Birkin - easily US$7,000+) and wore her 4+ carat diamond ring. Her kid was usually dressed in head-to-toe Burberry. She never participated in playgroup for more than 20 minutes, and when she did, she sat on the side reading fashion magazines. It's almost like, why bother even coming to school?
Oh, and I stand corrected. That bag is on eBay for US$20,000...
And you wonder why I'm itching to get out of here?
2 comments:
just for fun, I googled that bag. One website said that it comes with a "sleeper" for the bag. Seriously? Any bag that requires it's own sleeper better come with a bed for me too... one with that high-tech memory foam or something. Oh my gosh! I'm stunned. $19,000 btw.
that is just incredible about the bag and stuff. i don't think i've ever bought a bag that was over £40 ($80). absolutely crazy...and the poor ostrich. that is very very sad indeed.
i hope he is ajusting and enjoying it all. and that you are able to enjoy that time with sophie!
Post a Comment