Monday, January 12, 2009

A better day

Ethan regained more of his appetite today, and one thing he doesn't have a taste for is formula. I guess that solves my issue! We had a pretty fitful night of sleep last night, and here's hoping that he stays in his bed at least until 5am tonight. He's willing to fall asleep in his own bed, but he tends to wake up crying when he realizes that we're not there. We have to wait for him to fall asleep before we can leave the room, and when he wakes up alone, it's a bit frightening for him. We'll have to work on that one.

Yesterday, I went out to do some shopping in preparation for Chinese New Year. I picked up a few decorations along with a cute Chinese jacket that Ethan can wear when we go to visit all of the relatives and get our red pockets. I'm hoping that I'll get a good amount this year since I've already seem to dig a hole with some impulsive shopping this past week. That's where Ethan's Chinese New Year gesture will come in handy!

After shopping in the street market, I headed to a department store to pick up a pair of shoes. I ended up buying a few more things, and a concierge woman at the store offered to carry my bags to the taxi stand. She saw that I was pregnant, and she didn't want me carrying them too far. Then, the taxi driver commented on the fact that the woman carried my bags for me and asked what I bought. I sheepishly responded that I was pregnant, and she offered to carry them for me. He was very kind, and we chatted for a bit. When I saw that he wanted to take an alternate route, I suggested going straight. He glanced in the rear view mirror and said that he didn't think it would be a good idea to go that way, "if you get my drift". I didn't, but just let him go his merry way. He asked again if I understood what he meant, and I shook my head. Apparently, there was a fatal crash along the route that I suggested, and since I was pregnant, he didn't want to go that way for fear of bad 'vibes'. I was very touched by both of their kindness. Who says the service industry is going down?

I got the full report in the mail today - baby's all clear, although it seems like they only tested for DS. We're finally going to send out our announcement mass email, although a good amount of people already know. It's nice to be out in the open about it. Now I've just got to get through the next five months. I'll also need to come up with a name for BB#2, just as Ethan was Piglet. Since BB#2 will be born in the year of the cow, maybe Moo Moo? LOL! Suggestions would be appreciated =)

6 comments:

Erin said...

Some of my Facebook friends who are planning a Chinese New Year party say it's the year of the Ox.... I said my Chinese friend said it was the year of the cow and they say that's wrong! Waddupwitdat? :P

Sam said...

Hmm...well, the only famous cow I can come up with is Elsie (from Borden cheese fame) and the only famous ox that I can come up with is Babe the Blue Ox (from Paul Bunyan fame)...it's the year of the Earth Ox, right? Why not just call BB#2 "Brown Cow"? You know, as in "how now...?" (LOL)

Tracy said...

Erin, in Chinese, it's the same word for cow and ox. For those who had a baby this year, they'd probably prefer calling their baby a 'mouse' rather than a 'rat'. I'm not wrong - I see 'cow' in HK all the time.

Sam, I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of Brown Cow How Now??? I think I'll just stick to Moo Moo for now...

Erin said...

I kind of assumed an actual CHINESE person would have a good explanation (and somehow doubted that someone who actually lived in China -- or close enough-- would not be wrong). Off to repeat your answer to my stubbon Facebook people. ;)

Sam said...

Hey Tracy,

Found a link - and while it's posted on Wikipedia, I also found it on other sites as well...the phrase was used in elocution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_now_brown_cow

Anonymous said...

Mandamoo thinks that Moo moo is a great nickname! If it's a girl, Amanda makes a great middle name too! Hee hee!!