Friday, May 9, 2008

Channeling my inner Kate Gosselin...

...which can be good and bad. While she's been able to accomplish so much with two sets of multiples, she's a little unreasonable and absurd at the same time. The episode where the couple and the twins flew to CA and they visited the sequoia forest - hello, they're trees. Yes, they're very tall, but do you have to be THAT excited about them? I also feel really badly for Jon because she treats him so horribly, particularly in public. She's always humiliating him and bossing him around (Christmas shopping episode). If anything, I've learned to remember to be as nice to Herb as possible just so that I won't be like her.

On the flipside, she is uber organized, and I'm trying to be totally prepared for the upcoming trip home. My list of things to do and packing list is insanely long, and I'm hoping that we won't go over our luggage limit. The big issue for us is stopping over in Denver before we make it to Baltimore. While it helps to break things up for Ethan so that he doesn't have to fly three legs in a row, it's hard to plan around what I'll need to bring so that he can get somewhat acclimated to the new environment. And the plane ride itself? I'm scared that I won't be able to bring enough food/formula/diapers/clothes/burp clothes/toys/books/and anything else that I would possibly need to keep an eight-month old entertained for 13 hours in a tin can.

Oh, and did I mentioned he'll be on my lap? Yeah, bad call on my part. He's too big to fit in the bassinets, so I'm thinking about buying him an inflatable tub or float so that he can lay on it more comfortably across our laps or even on the floor in front of us. At least Herb will be with me for all legs of the trip. Now if I can just remind myself to be calm and don't let the evil Kate come out during the frustrating times when Ethan's acting up and Herb's all thumbs.

4 comments:

nelly said...

now i haven't flown with an 8 month old...both boys were 4 months or so when we flew, it was managable and quite easy really. on some flights we were lucky to have an empty seat nearby and could put baby down for a wee bit. i hope all goes well though for you all =)

nelly said...

lovely new photo!!

Erin said...

I really do LOVE that show and she is so inspiring. (though really mean to her husband). HAve you seen the plane ride to Utah episode yet? Oh MAN I felt for her... the five-hour plane ride took 10... they were trapped on the tarmac for two hours at one point and rerouted to another state at one point and then flown back. She cried and I nearly cried with her.

Good luck with your flight. Maybe you will get lucky and he'll sleep 12 of the 13 hours. ;) Is the flight full? I don't know if you can do this from HK or not, but when we fly Southwest, they always tell us to bring the carseat all the way to the gate and if there is an extra seat, we can use it. If not, they just gatecheck it.

Tracy said...

Erin,

No, I haven't seen the Utah episode yet. Did the whole family travel to Utah? I'm stuck with reruns of season one.

As for the car seat, Ethan's backside is always soaked from sitting in it for too long. Otherwise, that's a great idea.