Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A quiet night

Herb's spending the night in China tonight to prepare for a big meeting tomorrow. Normally, I'd be clearing up the dinner table by now, but tonight, I'll just hop into the shower and then head to bed.

Today was pretty uneventful. We had a few repairmen come in to fix our air conditioning unit because it was leaking water into our room. While I was writing out the check after they were finished, one of the repairmen offered to watch Ethan for me. Um...I'll just stick him in his Exersaucer, but thanks anyways...I wanted to take Ethan to the park after his afternoon nap, but he woke up a little too late, and parking near the park would've been completely full by the time we got there.

Unfortunately, there won't be too many opportunities for outdoor activities for the next few days since Typhoon Nuri is headed towards the South China coast. Not sure if it's going to hit HK, but we're already under signal #1 warning. The warning system is a bit weird - it goes from 1 to 3 to 8, and I think the max is 10. We already had a typhoon blow over a few weeks ago, and I hope this one passes quickly.

I made an appointment for Ethan to get his one-year shots, and the health centre advised me that it's very likely he'll develop a fever five to 12 days after the shot. This complicates things a bit as we're scheduled to fly on the 24th of September, and he would've gotten his shots on the 22nd. I can't postpone my flight because I'm a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding on the 27th. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that he'll be okay!

I've also started thinking about the bottle-free days and no more formula! My friend had a great suggestion to start getting Ethan to drink milk in a sippy cup so that he doesn't associate milk with a bottle and refuse to drink milk in a sippy cup after we've done away with bottles. He's doing well with the cup, but it's still quite a lot for him sometimes, and he ends up coughing. We tried it once with milk, but he didn't quite take to it too well. I may just start doing this when I get to the States. In HK, I find that a lot of kids up to age three are still using bottles and drinking formula. It's quite ridiculous really, but I'm not sure if the doctors are advising the parents to do this. I'll find out for his year check-up, but I'm not likely to adhere to it.

Well, better get to bed soon - Herb usually takes the morning shift as I'm horrible in the morning. Or you may just find me in a similar position in front of my computer:






No comments: