Typhoon Nuri hit Hong Kong today with a fury. We were pretty much right in its path as it traveled from the Philippines and is headed up to China. The Observatory hoisted the #8 signal before 8AM, which mean that Herb didn't have to go to work today and businesses were basically closed down. It's like a snow day in the States, but the best part? No shoveling required and it's not freezing cold =) HK won't be sustaining too much damage - mostly downed trees/branches and bamboo scaffolding (found wherever there is construction/renovation).
This was the strongest and closest storm that I've ever seen in HK. Two years ago, a typhoon hit while I was at work, even though the Observatory did not issue a warning for people to head home. I worked on the 18th floor, and the light fixtures that dangled from the ceiling were swaying...or I should say, the building was swaying in the high wind.
If that wasn't eerie enough, today, when the eye of the storm was right over HK, there was no wind or rain, and some parts of HK were even sunny. Now that the eye has passed, we're back to rain and wind gusts of up to 60mph. I hope that the howling and rattling of the doors won't wake up Ethan.
2 comments:
wow! that is so crazy. is this observatory quite close to where you live and are there more then one? i mean this is like an actual building outside somewhere??
glad that there wasn't too much damage and that it is passing!!
Actually, I'm not sure where the Observatory is located, but it's what the government weather service is called.
Post a Comment