Friday, October 31, 2008

Where do I begin?

I think I'm better off just writing bullets on how the whole flight experience came and went.
  • Left the house about 15 minutes later than wanted to, and traffic was slow due to rain
  • Mom asks if we brought the stroller right as we're taking Beltway ramp from Belair Road - proceed to go back home to get stroller
  • Hit traffic on Beltway, I-95, and Harbor Tunnel
  • Stomach goes funny and in dire need of bathroom
  • Arrive at airport - I run to the bathroom while curbside dude helps my folks out with the luggage
  • Luckily, no line for check-in
  • One bag was 45 pounds and one was 55 - good thing the 45 lb bag could hold the 5 extra lbs from the 55 lb bag
  • Check-in lady was all but helpful; even though I called ahead to arrange for my seats to be changed, I was assigned to row 36 and Ethan row 58; had to deal with seat change when I got to Chicago
  • Luckily, no line for security either, and parents traveling with toddler help me get my stuff on the conveyor built
  • Stubborn and stupid TSA woman tries to jam the car seat into the X-ray when I already told her it wouldn't fit
  • Forehead glistening with sweat, but we manage to get through in one piece
  • Stop for banana before boarding - wouldn't let me board early...
  • Get to Chicago just about on-time; Ethan fell asleep right as we landed, but was fine for the most part
  • Flight crew guy actually helps me roll my carry-on and car seat out of the jetway
  • Flight for HK delayed one hour due to plane change; seat configuration required everyone to get reassigned seats - chaos ensues in gate area
  • Ethan wakes up from nap, and random strangers are walking him around and playing with him
  • Gate agent confirms seats in the same row
  • Board according to seating area 2, even though it's very obvious I need more time
  • Friendly stewardess takes my carry-on rolly with car seat attached to my seat way in the back
  • Turns out there's a guy in the window seat, and Ethan and I have middle and aisle; given the size of the car seat, there's no way this would work
  • Luckily, gate agent boards and moves guy out of my row and gives me extra seat
  • We sit on the plane for an extra hour while we wait for galley supplies - as captain puts it, plane full of people and no food
  • Finally take off, and Ethan naps for a good two to three hours, giving me time to eat my meal peacefully
  • Man in front reclines and crushes Ethan's little feet =( Tilted car seat diagonally to give him more leg room
  • Scotsman sitting two rows behind us insists that Ethan's a girl
  • Ethan wakes up, eats, and we walk around the plane for a while
  • Ethan gets fussy for about two hours, then passes out for about six hours - I get much needed sleep
  • Rest of flight pretty uneventful; ate, crawled around, played peekaboo with guy behind us, tore up inflight magazines, fascinated by safety emergency procedure cards - get to HK an hour late
  • Waited for stroller, headed to bathroom to change diaper, managed to hail a shuttle to take us to immigration and hired a porter to get bags
  • Get to arrival hall to see Herb and his parents waiting for us
All in all, Ethan was the easiest part to deal with, if you can believe that. Now we're just dealing with jetlag (which is why we're up at 3 in the morning) and unpacking. Oh, and sleeping in his crib? Yeah, we're still working on that...too tired!

3 comments:

Sam said...

Sounds like quite the harrowing adventure! Glad to know that the two of you are safe and sound, albeit jetlagged!

Bitter Mom said...

Oh, my! Glad you got back safely!!

nelly said...

glad you are home safetly! i am in the process of looking for flights for easter time to go to baltimore with just jonah! so it should be interesting too! hoping for a straight flight!

you did well though =)