The last few posts have been a bit glum, and I was holding out for a few days to see if any good news came my way.
I found out that my brother and his girlfriend are now engaged, and I'm very happy for them and excited to have another sister-in-law. They're probably going to buy a house first before thinking about the wedding, which is good for me because it gives me a little time before having to travel overseas with two little ones. We were planning on heading to Vancouver for the Winter Olympics next February, but it all depends on whether we can get tickets to events. After the Olympics, we would head home for a visit, or try to convince my parents to meet us in Vancouver since it's easier for them to travel. Depending on when my brother decides to get married, those plans may fall through entirely.
Herb just came back from his business trip in Florence (not affected by the earthquake) with lots of great pastas, cheeses, chocolate, sauces and designer handbags. Unfortunately, the last item is not for me. He bought two bags on behalf of one of his friends and one bag for my mother. It's insane - the two bags for his friend are worth more than US$2,000 each, which is a bit excessive if you ask me. But then again, they're Chanel. Buttery soft, supple leather, but the style is just not something a woman in her 30's should be carrying. While Herb did look around the shop, he decided Chanel was not my style, and I ended up with a stove top cappuccino maker painted like a cow...not that I'm complaining ;)
I was relieved when Herb got home in the midst of Ethan's worst illness by far. He woke up on Friday with a fever, but I hesitated to give him anything to bring it down because it was only slight. By evening, he had fought it and was feeling fine. Saturday was a total disruption in his afternoon nap, and by Sunday, he had a really runny nose. By Sunday late night, he developed a disturbing cough. I took him to the doctor's on Monday morning. Doc diagnosed it as an upper respiratory infection and gave him cough syrup and something to stop his runny nose. I wish they came up with instant dissolving tablets for children because no matter what I tried, Ethan would not take his medicine. Ended up puking it all out because he was so upset by it. He had another bad night of sleep, and today, he slept for most of the day. By the time late afternoon came around, he was almost his old self again. His diet, on the other hand, was atrocious. He ate a few pieces of boiled egg, a slice of cheese, a little wheat bread, lots of grapes, and a few spoonfuls of pasta. At least he drank most of his milk and had some fluids in him. For the most part, he's fighting it without the meds. Here's hoping that by tomorrow, he'll get 80 percent of his appetite back.
Tomorrow's also a busy day for me since I have to go the hospital for a check-up as well as go to my private doctor for a check-up. Didn't realize until last week that I had booked it on the same day, but I hope to be able to make it to my private doctor appointment in time. Will definitely be asking both doctors about the insane Braxton Hicks contractions that I've been feeling in the last two weeks. Hopefully, this time around, I can get a good 4D shot of Moo Moo's face. I had a great one of Ethan that showed his nose and therefore strong resemblance to Herb. I hope to have something similar with Moo Moo, who is so shy when it comes to sonograms.
And lastly, in response to the "Ban the Breast Pump", it's helped to lessen the pressure that I've put onto myself to exclusively breastfeed Moo Moo for the first six months. I've been reading a La Leche League issued book called "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding", and the self-righteous tone is somewhat tiring after a while. I had almost forgotten that I went through slight PPD with Ethan, and I think the breastfeeding woes contributed to it. This time around, I'm going to put together a confinement plan to distribute to my MIL and to the confinement nanny so that I can control the environment that I'm in and hopefully lessen the PPD. Whether my MIL will honor my wishes is another issue (she'll probably think of me as the most ungrateful daughter-in-law), but this time around, I know what to expect, and I want to make sure that my confinement is good for me physically AND mentally.
No comments:
Post a Comment