Thursday, August 28, 2008

An epiphany!

I figured out the perfect time to blog is when I'm feeding Ethan. He's really good about eating, but he just takes his time, which is fine by me. It just means I can get a few sentences in while I'm feeding him. On the menu today is chicken rice porridge with bits of cabbage, pumpkin and a mashed egg yolk. He seems to prefer rice-based meals over pasta, although I just made a batch of alphabet pasta with tomato sauce, and he seemed to like that okay.

I'm not quite ready for him to try to feed himself with a spoon, mostly because our high chair has a cloth cover, and I'm too lazy to clean it every time he inevitably launches food backwards. The good thing is that the high chair at my parents' house has a plastic cover, so I'll just wait a few more weeks...I'm hoping a month should be enough time to master spoon feeding so that when we get back to HK, it won't be an issue =) It was the same thing with learning to crawl. Ethan hit his head once on the ceramic-tile floor, but that's only because he tried to lick the floor.

It's Herb's birthday on Saturday, and we've got a full schedule. Friday night, we're headed to a Louis Vuitton Damier Graphite launch party (mostly for sh*ts and giggles), Shanghainese dinner with the family on Saturday night, and then another birthday gathering for one of my FIL's old friends on Sunday night. At least we can recoup a little bit during the day. I bought Herb some Nespresso coffee pods and a Liverpool t-shirt. I was going to also buy him a nice wallet, but one of his friends/suppliers from work ended up buying him a Bally wallet, which is really not his style, but that puts me in a bind as to what else to get him...meanwhile, my mom has promptly claimed the Bally wallet for my father!

I also found out yesterday that one of Herb's friends has invited us to the Australian International School Biennial Ball at the Kowloon Shangri-La. I'm thinking, great, I've got a bunch of really nice cocktail dresses that don't fit me anymore, and I'll have to go out and buy one. Still, I was optimistic, started trying a few on, and surprisingly, one of them still fit really well. Saves me from spending loads of money on a mediocre dress (there are no Marshall's or TJ Maxx's in HK, and sales only happen twice a year).

Anyways, getting back to birthdays, Mandy's latest post reminded me that I'll also have to think about Ethan's birthday party. For the smashing cake, did any of you purposely kept the sugar content lower, or did you just follow the cake recipe?

He's finally done eating...

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I actually just bought the store kind and let him go at it. Although we eventually scraped the icing off.

Mandy said...

I'm planning on just letting Abby have regular cake. It will be her first full-blown experience with sugar...I figure I may as well let her do it right. ;)

Erin said...

Both my kids just had regular old yellow cake, but with Cool Whip icing... so we saved a bit on the sugar content there. Nothing wrong with letting them have regular everything though! Most times, they don't eat enough for it to matter!