Thursday, March 12, 2009

3am...

Ugh, insomnia again. Here's hoping that blogging will put me to sleep. Or, if I ramble long enough, I'll put you to sleep...

We managed to make it to playgroup on Tuesday even though we woke up late. Still struggling through circle time. The English teacher even tells Ethan to take it easy on me when it comes time to say goodbye. Oh well, we'll just grin and bear.

Herb left for the UK late Tuesday night as I was putting Ethan to bed. Ethan woke up at 3am and walked over to my room. During nap time today, he slept in his own bed, but then came around to my bed again. Tonight, he wouldn't even start the night in his own bed. He really likes to sleep right up against me, which is really hard depending on how I position my body pillows. I have a feeling that this is going to be a challenge, especially once Moo Moo is born. I've been on the lookout for a sofa bed because whenever Ethan climbs into our bed, Herb has to sleep on the sofa. I think at some point, we're both going to end up sleeping on the sofa bed and Ethan gets our double bed!

Ethan's also been getting really upset whenever I use the bathroom. He's getting really attached to me all of the sudden, but when Herb's around, it's like I don't exist sometimes. I really wonder what's going on in that little head of his.

After reading Val's birth story, I'm seriously considering getting an epidural this time around. I've already done the 'natural' birth thing, and to be honest, after my hospital stay of listening to laboring mothers all night, I'm dreading the pain of contractions. And at least this time, I don't have to pay out-of-pocket for it. I'm attending an antenatal talk at the end of the month where we'll get briefed on hospital procedures and get a tour of the ward. I'll ask then how frequently do they administer epidurals and when during the birthing process. I'm afraid that given how smoothly my first delivery went, my second might go too quickly that I'll miss the window (which is what happened to Herb's cousin at the same hospital).

The end of this month is our five-year wedding anniversary. The traditional gift is wood. While I haven't followed this tradition in the past, I figured the five-year mark might be something worth doing it for. Still, Herb and I have been together 13 years...how crazy is that? We've definitely been through some rough patches, especially since we're parents now, but we're working through it. A book that's really made sense to me (so far) is called, "Why Men Don't Have a Clue and Women Always Need More Shoes". I bought this for us on Valentine's Day as a laugh since I had gone through a shoe shopping spree during Chinese New Year (which is a huge no-no according to some random superstition), but I've been reading it at night, and so far, it's pretty accurate and eye-opening in terms of seeing things from the other perspective. Unfortunately, can't read it tonight because the light might bother Ethan...

Well, it's 3:30. Must try to get some sleep, especially since I wasn't planning on napping later today so that I'd have time to tidy up a bit before my mom arrives on Friday. Can't wait!!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Get the epidural, especially since it's free! It's heaven! You can actually (to some extent) enjoy the whole labor/birthing experience! :)