Monday, March 16, 2009

Busy bees

Appropriate title since a huge bee just flew into the apartment...

We had a quasi-successful day at playgroup today. He was mostly cooperative during the Putonghua segment, and he's definitely settling down to the routine during snack time. At first, I had a theory that he didn't like the Putonghua teacher because he couldn't really understand her and she was a woman. Ethan tends to take to men easier, and the English teacher is a guy. Today, he sat very still during Putonghua circle time, but he was a bit more antsy during the English circle time. So, there goes that theory.

My mom arrived on Friday and stayed with me until Sunday, when Herb came back from his business trip. Not only was I excited to see my mom, but she also brought some great stuff back from the States. She managed to sneak two boxes of sweet strawberries and brought Thomas's English muffins and bagels. She also brought the infant car seat and Ethan's old clothes (plus extra from Becky - thanks again!). I was most excited to finally get my handbag that I bought from eBay and can't wait to use it, although my mom's already asking if she can borrow it!

On Saturday night, we had dinner with my mom's side of the family. My grandmother had no clue that my mom was coming to town, and when we got to the restaurant, the look on my grandmother's face was priceless. I also got a huge hug from her, but she also shook me up because she was 'mad' that I kept it a surprise. She can't speak because she had oral cancer and had to have her tongue removed, so she's very vigorous in her gestures to get the point across. I had to tell her to be careful because I was pregnant - that's how hard she shook me!

Today is my mom's birthday, and she's spending time with her mom. She'll come out to town tomorrow, come to playgroup with me and hang out with us during the day. At night, we'll have dinner nearby with Herb's family. So great to have her here =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds great! i love it when my mom comes as she usually has a small suitcase of clothes for her self and a big suitcase of goodies for me and the boys!!