Friday, June 20, 2008

Recapping the week

It's been a few days since my last entry - considering I was averaging one entry per day, I'm slacking off now. This week was filled with lots of explosive diapers and golden showers. So much for impeccable timing on the potty. I think Ethan's used it twice successfully since we've been home.

It's already been a month since we've been in the States, and it feels like I just got here. I'm SO dreading going back. The weather here has been amazing, unlike the same weather pattern for six months straight in Hong Kong. Seriously, I'm tempted to burn our passports so that we can't possibly go back. Then there's the question of my lovely husband. Oy.

Today I did some shopping at the Avenue and found some great stuff, particularly at B&N. Everything's on sale, and I managed to pick up a few gifts for relatives back in HK. I even picked up a book for myself - The Hostess Diary. I'm a planning freak, and this is just so me. I love entertaining even though my apartment can't fit but six people comfortably (including me and Herb). I also found a jacket at Ann Taylor Loft for $6.88! Unfortunately, that's how I shop. I never need it - I just can't pass up a bargain like that.

After unsuccessfully scouting the Wal-marts and Targets, I decided to order Ethan's pool online. My friend has one like this, and I like that it has a cushioned bottom. It should be warming up again, which means we should definitely get some good use out of it. We'll also be able to take this to my in-laws' weekend home back in HK - I just hope the weather cooperates when we're back since typhoon season would have just started.

Speaking of the in-laws, it seems they will be going to Vegas with Herb. So much for our reunion and "us" time. On the upside, maybe we can get them to pay for a few shows and a nice dinner. We really want to see Cirque du Soleil's LOVE, but cheapest tickets are $100!

On another random subject, I had to buy formula today, and Food Lion had Enfamil Lipil on sale. Unfortunately, they were all out when I got to the store, and I ended up buying it at Target. I thought long and hard about the Target generic brand and compared labels. I'm tempted, but at the same time, I've skimped on so many things with Ethan, I didn't want to do it with formula. However, generic branded formula doesn't exist in HK, so it was never an option for me. Now I'm thinking about taking it back with me by the truckload.
Could you let me know which brand of formula you fed/are feeding your baby?

Anyways, we're planning on heading out to Storyville tomorrow. After being so cooperative with shopping today, Ethan totally deserves it =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used the Target brand with Conner. It was fine and SOOO much cheaper. We switched to BJ's brand with Paige - even cheaper. I just can't justify spending all that money when the labels are the same.

Erin said...

I never used generic with Ben... i read over and over again how it was exactly the same. My friends all used it... I just couldn't be convinced. (he also had tummy issues, so I was always wary of switching on him). But with Simon, once again I stood there in the formula aisle with the two cans. THe ingredients are word for word the same... the dha/ara content is exactly the same. So I gave it a go around four or five months'ish. Honestly, it really is 100% the exact. same. thing for half the price. It's all about the branding... it really is. And Enfamil (and Similac) have done a great job of making us feel like giving babies anything but is somehow cheating them out of something... I feel silly for falling for the marketing/advertising when I know better!

Mandy said...

I'm all on board with the generics. I started Abby out on Enfamil, but that was because I had a lot of freebies, from Erin and from the mailers/hospital samples. Once those ran out, I bought it a couple of times and then decided to just go generic. It's the same thing for half the price. She gets the Target brand at daycare since the can is regular size and she doesn't go through it as fast there. At home, she gets BJ's brand. The two are exactly the same and she has no problem with the switching. We also throw some Walmart brand in there too...my SIL used that with her baby and she still gets free samples all the time that she passes on to us. The samples are "one days worth," so we save them up and then fill an empty formula container with them. Presto...a free can of formula! :)