Sunday, March 1, 2009

Insomnia

One of the things that I will not miss while being pregnant is having insomia. I'm so tired, but I just can't fall asleep. I didn't even have that long of a nap today. Doesn't help that hubby's happily snoring away in dreamland, although we've already established from my pregnancy with Ethan that his snoring is not what is keeping me up.

Last week, my friend proposed to his girlfriend and invited a group of good friends immediately afterward for a junk boat cruise. I offered to do the flowers and was quite surprised when he said that he had a budget of HKD1500 (a little less than USD200) and wanted to get as many flowers as that could afford. I went to the flower market and ordered 20 dozen roses, plus a bouquet of flowers for him to present to her during the proposal. It was a lot of work to do the arrangements, and ironically, the simplest-looking arrangements ended up being the hardest ones to work on. I'll just stick with hand-tied bouquets in the future! Still, the boat looked great. All that was missing was candles to really set the mood (but not really a good idea on a boat in choppy waters).

Ethan starts playgroup on Monday. He's enrolled for Monday, Tuesday and Friday from 10:30 - 12:00, which is perfect in terms of his nap schedule. We'll both be tired afterward and head home to fall right to sleep. It'll also mean less time to chat with my parents on web cam in the morning, but it'll be a great experience for Ethan. I hope that at some point, my MIL will be able to take him to classes so that they can spend some quality time together. I'm still trying to figure out what we'll do once Moo Moo is born. I'm trying to avoid having our helper take him, but we may have to resort to it if the need arises.

Ethan also turned 17 months last weekend. No distinguishable words yet, but I think it's funny when he touches his ears and says, "eyes". To him, everything is the letter "A". He's better at waving goodbye and blowing kisses. Apparently, he's also developmentally on track because he won't stop fidgeting and fighting us during diaper changing time. He's getting much better with feeding himself with a spoon, but is also very quick to throw his spoon and bowl to the floor when he's bored with eating. It's been easier now that he can, for the most part, eat what we're eating - I just season it less, and I don't have to cook two different meals. He's become quite a cry baby when something doesn't go his way, but we're hoping that he'll be able to communicate what he wants soon. In the meantime, we'll keep playing the guessing game.

Hubby's going to be traveling to the UK/Italy in early March, to Chicago at the end of March, to Italy in the beginning of April, and NYC at the end of April. It'll be tough because Ethan still cries in the middle of the night, and hubby's always the one to jump out of bed to get to him. It takes me ages to get out of bed and out from all of the pillows surrounding me.

The bright side is that I'm really looking forward to my mom visiting me in less than two weeks. She'll be here just in time for her birthday and during the time that Herb will be in Italy. She's almost done packing and buying a few things for me that aren't readily available here. She keeps insisting that I don't need to pick her up from the airport, but I keep insisting that I can drive just fine. Funny thing is, I stopped driving when I was about four months pregnant with Ethan. As long as I can get into my car, I still have a good four to five inch clearance between my belly and the steering wheel.

Still not sleepy...maybe I'll be adventurous and install Windows on my Mac...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well i hope you have had some sleep by now (i'm not sure of the time difference,)as i am about to head to bed!!

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better, Paige just laughs at me when I try to get her to talk. Apparently the fact that "the cow says Moooo" is really funny, but not worth repeating. Talking will come in time (and then they won't stop!)