Monday, December 22, 2008

The waiting game

The procedure's done, vials delivered, and hopefully, the lab's working to deliver the news to me tomorrow. The latest will probably be Christmas Eve.

My doctor referred me to another doctor to have the amnio done, and this doctor wasn't so friendly. He kept emphasizing the miscarriage risk to the point where I was almost ready to just leave without doing it. Still, I mustered the courage and went ahead with it. It wasn't very comfortable, especially when the needle penetrated the uterus, and I didn't have the guts to watch the ultrasound screen to see it happening. I just kept my eyes shut and breathed through as I felt the needle go through the different layers. Tell me again how I went through labor without an epidural?

Afterwards, I felt mild cramping and really tired. And, doctor's orders - I can't pick up Ethan for a week, or at minimum, three days.
The doc said that because no blood flows around the puncture wound, it takes much longer to heal fully, and I have to do what I can to not aggravate it. Unfortunately, I ran out of options for help on Tuesday and Wednesday, so Herb's mom is going to help out. I asked Herb to remind his mom to tone down the unsolicited advice. Otherwise, she's going to drive me crazy, since she'll have to stick around until Herb comes home from work. That's 12 hours at least in close proximity to one of my primary sources of stress...but I just can't risk having the wound grow bigger. I just have to remind myself that she's the one doing me a favor and that I can't be an ungrateful daughter-in-law.

On the upside, it was nice to have Herb home on a weekday. He cooked a lovely beef stew that we can eat for the next few days, and we were able to eat at a decent time (as opposed to 9:30 to 10PM). We'll finish up the dishes and then head to bed as we both need the rest. And little Ethan has been so cooperative with sleeping in his own bed. He still manages to find his way into our bed by about 6AM, but we're grateful that he's comfortable and willing to sleep in it for the majority of the night.

Thanks again for your prayers and thoughts. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Erin said...

It must be a relief just to have it over with! :) Here's hoping the next day passes quickly for you all... I just know it's going to be good news. (and probably the best Christmas present ever)

Take it easy! :)