Thursday, May 14, 2009

Blogging in the dark

We've started turning on the AC at night and mostly use the main unit in the living room to cool the whole apartment. The mosquitos have been brutal to Ethan, and we try to keep the windows closed as much as we can. Now that Herb's putting Ethan to bed, I need to turn all the lights off so that Ethan doesn't wander out of his room. Hence, blogging in the dark =)

Today was my visit to the private doctor. I thought she would do a cervical exam, but she only did the ultrasound. Everything looks normal, and Moo Moo is in a good position. The doctor doesn't think Moo Moo will be as big as initially thought, but MM still has a big head. Apparently, my doctor thinks we all have big heads! I never thought my head to be big...anyways, my next appointment with her is in 10 days. I think that'll be the appointment where she works her magic.

On to another topic, for those who had epidurals, did you still have the epidural while you were pushing? Did your epidural possibly slow down your labor? Am I still crazy for being on the fence about it, especially since it's free this time around? I just figured I can get it over and done with faster because people keep telling me that it might hinder the delivery. Still, if I have the epidural while I'm pushing (if that's possible), then maybe it'll reduce my chances of having to get an episiotomy. Then again, with Moo Moo's ginormous head, maybe an episiotomy is inevitable.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Yes, had the epidural while pushing... they took it out shortly after the babies were born. No, definitely did not slow down labor, at least not appreciably... especially the second time! Go for it... you have done it the other way, now experience how relaxed labor/delivery can be! I truly felt NO pain with Simon, other than a bit of a cramp in my right thigh... laughing and smiling the whole time. It's really REALLY nice...

Christine K said...

I had an epidural and wouldn't do it without. Mine was turned down or off once I was ready to push and I didn't have any pain. I don't think it slowed birth and since this is your second it will hopefully progress even faster.

meg said...

I'll third that... had the epidural both times. 2nd labor is MUCH faster. And no pain is a beautiful thing. Personally I don't think it will have any effect on the episiotomy. That will happen or not due to general pushing and baby size/position. Look at it this way, if you get the episiotomy, you won't feel it with an epidural:)

Anonymous said...

i can't say anything for the epidural as i've never had one =) BUT i can say that with jonah my midwife was awesome and i did small almost maybe panting pushes and i did tear at all. (i tore and had stitches with micah and noah...never had an episiotomy though.)